Don’t Miss the ACPA Airport Pavements Workshop
- Wednesday, 18 July 2018 01:42
ACPA’s popular Airport Pavement Design & Construction Workshop is now a little more than five weeks away.
We’re reminding members and others involved in airport design and construction to register as soon while seats are still available.
Our annual three-day national workshop will be held August 28 through 30 in San Diego. The schedule is 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PDT) the first day and second days, and from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. the third day.
The workshop will be held at the Marriott San Diego Mission Valley, in San Diego. Click the hotel link to register online; but if calling, please be sure to ask for the ACPA room block when making reservations.
ACPA Calls for Distinguished Service Award Nominations
- Tuesday, 17 July 2018 12:45
ACPA is calling for members and affiliates to submit nominations for its distinguished service and recognition awards. This award program was established in 1968, and the first honeree was James W. Johnson, Iowa Highway Commission Testing Lab, for the invention of the slipform paver.
To submit a nomination for the 2018 awards, please follow this link to view past award recipients and to see nominate in multiple categories. To go directly to the specific award nomination page, click the highlighted links below:
- Hartmann-Hirschman-Egan Award – Awarded annually since 1968. The award is presented to individuals or organizations for unparalleled, long-term commitment, dedication, participation, and leadership in the concrete pavement community.
- Marlin J. Knutson Award for Technical Achievement – Awarded annually since 1998. The award is presented to an individual or group who has made significant contributions to advance the development and implementation of technical innovations and best practices in the design and construction of concrete pavements.
- Outstanding Pavement Promotion Award – Awarded selectively since 1998. The award is presented to an individual or group who has made significant contributions through promotion efforts or programs to advance the awareness, specification, and/or placement of concrete pavements.
- Lifetime Pavement Recognition Award (Street/Road) – Awarded annually since 1994. The award is presented to the agency owner of an in-service concrete pavement that has demonstrated exceptional performance and service to its local community, state, and users. (This recognition rotates annually between market segments. This year, we will recognize an exceptional street/road project.)
- Sustainable Practices Recognition Award– Presented first in 2010, this award goes to an organization or team (owner and contractor) that demonstrates leadership by implementing design and construction practices that consider societal, environmental and economic factors.
All nominations must be submitted online by August 3, 2018. The awards will be presented to the recipients at the Association’s 55th Annual Meeting in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
ND Concrete Council Names New Executive Director
- Monday, 16 July 2018 09:10
The North Dakota Concrete Council (NDCC) has announced that Art Thompson has been hired as the Council’s new Executive Director. The NDCC represents both the North Dakota Chapter-ACPA and the North Dakota Ready Mix & Concrete Association.
Thompson spent the first half of his career in public relations and marketing roles, and has spent the last decade building, managing and growing ready-mix concrete operations throughout Central and Western North Dakota. He also served as president of the North Dakota Ready-Mix & Concrete Products Association for two terms.
“Art brings a wealth of knowledge to our association,” says Greg McCormick, Northern Improvement Co.* and 2nd Vice Chair of ACPA. He also is a member of the NDCC Board of Directors. “With his vast experience and his personality, our board is confident that he will be a great ambassador for the concrete industry in North Dakota.”
Thompson is based in Bismarck and will travel throughout the state focusing on government and member relations, education, and marketing in a variety of areas that promote the use of concrete.
“I am excited about the opportunities this new role provides,” Thompson says. “This association has a strong history of promoting concrete as the building material of choice in North Dakota. I look forward to building on that history and working with all those who have an impact on our industry.”
Thompson replaces Dave Sethre, who retired this year after 22 years with the Council.
Contact information follows: Art Thompson, Executive Director, North Dakota Concrete Council, (Phone: 701.425.7106 | Email: Art.NDConcrete@gmail.com). Also, please note the new mailing address: North Dakota Concrete Council, P.O. Box 1076, Bismarck, ND 58502.
WCPA Names New Pavement Engineer
- Monday, 16 July 2018 01:07
The Wisconsin Concrete Pavement Association (WCPA) is pleased to announce the hiring of Jackie Spoor as Pavement Engineer, says Kevin McMullen, WCPA President.
“Her role in the association will be municipal and county government concrete pavement project promotion and technical support, construction support services, highway technician certification program support and concrete pavement education and training,” Kevin says.
Jackie is scheduled to start on July 23. One of her early goals will be to get out and make introductions to the contractor members and as many cement and associate members as possible, Kevin says.
She is a 2005 Civil Engineering graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. Jackie has worked her entire career for consulting engineering companies in the Madison area, the last eight for CORRE, Inc. Her work experience has been in municipal engineering with design of city streets, utilities and subdivisions. She also has worked as part of the project teams on several Wisconsin DOT projects. Most recently, she worked on the Interstate 39/90 and the CTH “N” interchange south of Madison.
Contact information follows: Jackie Spoor, Pavement Engineer, Wisconsin Concrete Pavement Association, 4001 Nakoosa Trail, Suite 101, Madison, WI 53714. Phone: 608.240.1020 | Email:firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile: 608.574.7909.
Final Hours for “Excellence” Awards Submittals
- Tuesday, 10 July 2018 23:18
The final deadline is hours away for submitting nominations for the 29th annual “Excellence in Concrete Pavement” awards. The deadline was extended until close of business today (Wed., July 11).
Click here to begin the awards submittal process and here to see a summary of 2017 award recipients.
The program is open to projects completed in the calendar year 2017. Prior to submitting projects for consideration, please check the program details, including eligibility requirements. Award recipients will be recognized formally at the awards banquet & presentations on Thursday, November 29, at ACPA’s 55th Annual Meeting in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.