ACPA Participates in TRB Concrete Pavements Meeting
- Monday, 08 July 2019 13:20
Eric Ferrebee of ACPA participated in the Transportation Research Board’s recent Mid-Year Meeting for the Concrete Pavement Design and Construction Committees in Orlando, FL.
The Florida Chapter hosted the meeting and welcomed Florida DOT, Alabama DOT, and FHWA personnel, as well as other transportation experts. In addition to chair reports, the meeting also included TRB staff comments, as well a presentation on designing long-life concrete pavements (by Rich Rogers, Texas Cement Promotion Council), an FHWA concrete pavement update (by Tom Yu, FHWA), Florida DOT’s concrete pavement test road (by Jamie Greene from Florida DOT), and an in-depth analysis of concrete pavement cracking (by Georgene Geary GG&GA).
The group also heard presentations about the I-4 Ultimate Project , which they also toured. At $2.3 billion, this is one of the most expensive projects the Florida DOT has ever done. The project reconstructs a 20-mile section of I-4 through Orlando and also creates express lanes through the corridor.
News from Capitol Hill
- Monday, 08 July 2019 12:56
ACPA is pleased to present just a few highlights of PCA’s “This Week in Washington” update by Rachel Derby, PCA Vice President of Legislative Affairs. Interested in seeing more? Become an ACPA Advocacy Interest Member.* Advocacy Interest Members are eligible to participate in the Legislative Issues Committee (LIC). Click here to join!
- House T&I Committee Chair Peter DeFazio (D-OR) and House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richard Neal (D-MA) are urging Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to engage and talk with President Trump again about finding common ground on revenue for a large infrastructure package.
- Senate EPW Committee Chairman Barrasso (R-WY), along with Senators Carper (D-DE), Capito (R-WV) and Cardin (D-MD), introduced legislation to repeal the rescission of $7.6 billion in federal-aid contract authority scheduled to take effect on July 1, 2020 without action by Congress. PCA supports this effort because if the rescission is not repealed, Senators Barrasso and Carper have indicated they will not be able to move forward with a long-term reauthorization of the FAST Act. Also, many state DOTs will hold back on signing contracts for projects as they wait for certainty about federal funding.
- The House passed a minibus appropriations bill that included appropriations for the Department of Transportation. This bill provides $86.6 billion in total budgetary resources to the agency, which is a $167 billion over the 2019 enacted level. The accompanying report language directs the Federal Aviation Administration to invest research funds in the Airfield Pavement Research Program, which ACPA and PCA worked to get reauthorized as part of the FAA reauthorization bill last year.
- The House Energy and Commerce Energy Subcommittee passed the Safer Pipelines Act of 2019 (H.R. 3432) in a voice vote on June 26. The bill will reauthorize the US DOT’s pipeline safety program, provide grants for emergency response, and make it easier for the public to sue pipeline operators for negligence. Authorization for the program expires September 30. Reauthorization is important to the cement industry because natural gas is a fuel in cement manufacturing.
* Advocacy Interest Membership is a special individual membership category. To be eligible for membership in this category, a member must be a stockholder, owner, director, or employee of a member admitted to any other class of membership (Article IV, Section a-i, and l). In addition, to become and remain eligible, individuals must affirm their Advocacy Interest Membership annually.
Follow this link to see ACPA’s government affairs repository.
Professors’ Seminar Begins July 22
- Monday, 08 July 2019 10:32
The PCA Education Foundation’s Professors’ Workshop is schedule for July 22 through 26.
The event this year will be held at the American Concrete Institute (ACI) world headquarters in Farmington Hills, MI. The Professors’ Workshop is designed for professors and other instructors in civil engineering, architecture, architectural engineering, materials science, and construction management programs.
The program provides the academic community with tools to engage students in the latest developments in concrete design, construction, and materials.
Eric Ferrebee, ACPA Technical Director, will be among the prominent, nationally-known faculty and industry representatives who will present technical information, trends and other information. Eric will be teaching Joint Layout and Design and Pavement Thickness Design. Click here to register online or to forward the registration link to a professor or instructor who could benefit from this content-rich workshop.
ACPA to Cosponsor & Exhibit at CONEXPO
- Monday, 08 July 2019 06:44
ACPA this week formally confirmed its plans to exhibit at CONEXPO-CON/AGG. Billed as North America’s largest construction trade show, the event is scheduled for March 14-20 at the Las Vegas Convention Center and surrounding area. The trade show and educational/tech transfer forum is held every three years.
Registration officially opens on July 23. ACPA is pleased to serve as a co-sponsor of the show and, along with other sponsoring associations, will actively promote attendance and participation in the event.
Deadline Approaches for Excellence Awards
- Tuesday, 02 July 2019 13:31
July 12th is the deadline for submitting project details and photos for ACPA’s 30th Annual “Excellence in Concrete Pavements” award program.
Projects must have been completed in the calendar year 2018. To submit your project for award consideration or to view complete program details, including eligibility requirements, please click here. To read more about the awards program, please click here.
If you are submitting an award, please click on the appropriate links to read more about “eligibility.” Please review the complete eligibility requirements by selecting the ‘Eligibility’ link. We also urge everyone submitting a project for judging to review the updated “Project Photograph” sections, which appear under several links on the awards submittal page.
Award winners will receive an invite to attend the 30th Annual Excellence in Concrete Pavement Awards Banquet on Thursday, December 5th, at the New Orleans Marriott. The banquet will be held during the ACPA 56th Annual Meeting.