Eder Joins JC Supply & Manufacturing
- Monday, 26 September 2016 11:28
Glenn Eder has joined JC Supply & Manufacturing, an ACPA member company, as the company’s National Sales Manager, the company announced on September 22.
With more than 40 years of experience with the industry, his commitment to the industry includes serving on the Board of Directors for the American Concrete Pavement Association, as well as on the boards of local ACPA chapters. He also has served as a member of the Federal Highway Administration’s Concrete Pavement Technology Expert Task Group.
Connie Lightcap, President of JC Supply, an ACPA member, said, “Glenn’s wealth of experience and industry knowledge has made him a key addition to the JC Supply Team. “We view his appointment as a sign of our commitment to being the leading company in our industry. Our new innovations and the increasing demand from our customers led us to look for an addition to our team who is aligned with our commitment of excellence for our customers and employees. I’m confident that Glenn will play a key role in providing and implementing high quality solutions for our customers that create measurable value.”
“I am excited to start a new challenge within JC Supply and look forward to working with the team to further develop their markets, service, products, and innovations,” he said. “I am fortunate to be joining such a customer-oriented company that prides itself on top quality products, service, and meeting delivery commitments.
JC Supply is a certified DBE manufacturer of load transfer devices and other steel products. The company has manufacturing plants in California and Illinois, and services paving contractors across the United States.
Tell Us Your Story
- Thursday, 15 September 2016 15:33
The latest issue of CONCRETE PAVEMENT PROGRESS magazine is available in both a printed version and as an electronic “flipbook.”
Since the re-launch in January, there has been a lot of positive “buzz” about the magazine. In addition to some very positive feedback from ACPA-affiliated chapter/states and members, we have also had requests for reprints from each of the issues published this year.
One reason for the popularity of the magazine is our focus on project stories that showcase the capabilities and skills of ACPA members meeting demanding schedules and addressing other project complexities. Readers also are responding very favorably to the bold layout, short articles, and exceptional photographs appearing inn each issue.
ACPA is encouraging all members to take advantage of free subscriptions and to contribute project story ideas. If you have a project that would like to be considered in the magazine, please call or email us to let us know more details. Also, for any member not receiving the magazine, please contact us to be added to the subscription list. Please contact: Bill Davenport at ACPA (firstname.lastname@example.org | 847.423.8703).
Another sign of the magazine’s growing popularity is the marked increase in advertisers who recognize the value of being seen in the only magazine focused exclusively on concrete pavements. If your company offers products or services in the concrete pavement market, please contact David Gambill at LLM Publishing (DavidG@llm.com | 503-445-2231).
ACPA Calls for Emerging Leader Nominations
- Wednesday, 14 September 2016 19:24
ACPA is looking for people 40 years of age or younger to serve as members of its Emerging Leaders Group. The association is specifically looking for employees or owners of member companies who have have been identified as future leaders by their employers or other industry professionals.
The ELG is an excellent opportunity for emerging leaders to grow into a larger role in the industry by participating in ACPA and to shaping the future of their Association and industry. Participation in the ELG will allow members to exchange ideas on national issues; discuss common experiences and best practices; develop leadership skills; and build a network on a national level. ACPA expects the ELG will poise the next generation to assume leadership roles within their organizations and within their local and national industry associations.
Once selected, ELG members will meet for the inaugural meeting on November 30, the second evening of ACPA’s 53rd Annual Meeting in Austin. The meeting will be followed by a trip to an outside venue for food, refreshments, and fellowship.
In addition to meeting at the ACPA annual meeting, the ELG will meet a second time each year, usually in conjunction with an ACPA Chapter/State paving association workshops or other conference. ACPA anticipates the regional/local meetings will encourage greater participation and will foster discussion of region-specific interests and concerns that will be further developed and implementation during the national meeting.
ACPA is asking those interested to complete the nomination form on or before October 17 so we can plan to include the full roster of emerging leaders at the ACPA annual meeting. Click here to download and complete the nomination form.
Annual Meeting Spotlights Technology Transfer
- Wednesday, 14 September 2016 18:29
One of the highlights of ACPA’s annual meeting is the annual Concrete Pavement University technology transfer event, which features project stories, research results, best practices, and other information intended to improve quality and save money. Organized by date and time—and presented with other events of the days—here is a snapshot of our program:
Wednesday, November 30
- CPU Opening Session—What do a project story in Texas, a high-tech grade assessment, a paving project at a Microsoft facility, and the analysis of the first concrete pavement in the United States all have in common? The answer is they’ll all be in the spotlight for our exciting and informative CPU opening session.
- (Lunch) Special Guest Speaker—You won’t want to miss our lunchtime guest speaker, Mike Robertson, who will entertain, inspire, and dazzle audiences with humor and storytelling.
- Annual Membership Meeting—Before we continue with our CPU program, please join us for our annual membership meeting…but be prepared for some surprises (and a laugh or two).
- CPU Special Technical Session—We’re back to our CPU programa with this special track that cover performance specification and pay factors. Learn about the latest in performance-based specs and contractors’ experiences with projects using PaveSpec.
Thursday, December 1
- (Breakfast) Keynote Speaker—You will not want to miss the ACPA Legislative Issues Task Force’s special guest, James M. Bass, Executive Director, Texas Department of Transportation. He will provide a perspective on highway funding and instilling competition between industries in the Lone Star State.
- CPU Breakout Track 1–Future Technology Today is the theme of this track, which will cover Greenroads and Concrete Pavements; an explanation of recycling waste carbon dioxide to lower the concrete footprint, and a discussion of the Athena pavement LCA.
- CPU Breakout Track 2–Take a new look at traditional materials with this track, which will feature a new look at ASTM C94, a candid talk about fly ash, and a presentation on the flexibility of using slag.
- CPU Breakout Track 3–Pavement smoothness perspectives for contractors is the focus of this track, which will include a presentation on North Dakota’s ultra-smooth IRI specification; how to use ProVAL to reduce must-grinds and increase profits; and the results of a curling and warping study.
- CPU Breakout Track 4–The very popular topic of curing and sealing innovations is the focus for this session, which will include a presentation on penetrating sealer to prevent joint deterioration; impacts of curing methods on curling; and the latest science in internal curing.
- CPU Breakout Track 5–Advancements in continuously-reinforced concrete pavements (CRCP) are in the spotlight for this session. Presentations will focus on CRCP-Texas-style; CRCP innovations; and reinforcement corrosion considerations.
- CPU Breakout Track 6–This concurrent session will focus on performance-engineered mixes and a new AASHTO Provisional Standards that will be a game changer for contractors. We’ll start off the session with some presentations, then follow with a panel discussion with leading experts.
- CPU Breakout 7 –Our final track will focus on pavement repair materials and related innovations. The session will include a contractor’s view of proper techniques for full- and partial-depth patching, followed by a panel discussion on the latest technologies and materials for performing these repairs. Materials and systems manufacturers will be on hand to discuss developments and answer questions.
Concrete Pavement University is just one of the many highlights of the upcoming 53rd Annual Meeting, scheduled for November 29 through December 1. Be sure to see the full slate of events … and to make your reservations as soon as possible. Click here for our one-stop hotel and event registration site for the ACPA 53rd Annual Meeting.
Sponsorship Program Gains Strong Support
- Wednesday, 14 September 2016 14:11
A new approach to sponsoring popular ACPA events has gained the support of members, allies, and Chapter/State affiliates. Unveiled in early August, the program allows sponsors to select one or more popular events, including the ACPA Annual Meeting (November 29 through December 1); the ACPA Reception at the 96th Annual Transportation Board Meeting (January 9); and the ACPA Mid-Year Meeting (date and location to be determined).
The new program offers options for year-round recognition and brand access, along with other benefits that enhance customer relationships and provide added visibility at major industry events. The new program is also designed to help members, allies, and affiliates with year round visibility.
With grateful acknowledgement and thanks, ACPA is pleased to recognize the following companies for their sponsorship pledges in the 2016/2017 cycle. Their contributions help offset program costs and enhance the experience for all participants.
- ACPA- Southeast Chapter
- American Engineering Testing, Inc.
- Applied Pavement Technology, Inc
- Applied Research Assoc., Inc.
- Ash Grove Cement Company
- Cedar Valley Corp., LLC.
- Cement Association of Canada
- Colorado/Wyoming Chapter-ACPA
- Concrete & Aggregates Association of Louisiana
- Koss Construction Co.
- Lehigh Hanson
- Michigan Concrete Association
- Minnich Manufacturing Co. Inc.
- Nichols Consulting Engineers
- Oklahoma/Arkansas Chapter-ACPA
- Portland Cement Association
- RexCon LLC
- The Transtec Group
- W.R. Meadows, Inc.
- Wirtgen America
- Wisconsin Concrete Pavement Association
If you have not become a sponsor yet and would like more information, please contact Jerry Voigt or Bill Davenport at 847.966.2272, or click here to download the 2016/2017 sponsorship form.