ACPA, CTLGroup to Present Webinar on Airport Pavement Specs, Testing
- Friday, 04 September 2015 18:47
Based on the popularity of our recent webinar, “Gaining a Better Understanding of FAA and Military Airport Pavement Specifications” (presented on May 19), ACPA is offering a special course designed to help contractors and engineers recognize weaknesses in the FAA’s P-501 and UFC’s 32 13 11 specification requirements, as well as the supporting test methods that are likely to cause problems.
The one hour webinar, “Standards for Concrete Materials and Hardened Concrete in Pavements: What They Do and Don’t Tell Us,” will be presented by guest presenter, Toy Poole, Ph.D., Senior Principal Scientist, CTL Group, Austin, Texas.
The webinar is scheduled for Thursday, September 17, and will be held from Noon to 1:00 p.m. (CENTRAL). Please click here for additional details and online registration information.
ACPA Encourages Early Registration for Annual Meeting, Hotel
- Friday, 04 September 2015 18:29
ACPA is encouraging early registration for the Association’s 52nd Annual Meeting, as well as hotel rooms. With the event drawing closer, ACPA is anticipating high registration counts, and so, is encouraging reservations as soon as possible.
ACPA’s one-stop event website (http://2015meeting.acpa.org) includes program details, a link to reserve accommodations, and event registration. The site also includes the spouse/guest program, social activities, and other information about this exciting, information-packed meeting.
There are many new features this year that will interest first time attendees, as well as long-time regulars. ACPA is featuring “Makin’ Concrete Cool” project stories and strategic issues forums (focusing on maintenance of traffic and FAA P-501 & UFC 32 13 11 specifications). We are also planning a technology fair and a special luncheon featuring Scott Wolter, host of the “America Unearthed” TV show on the History Channel. The event also includes an excellent line-up for Concrete Pavement University, the National Excellence in Paving Awards banquet, and plenty of chances to catch up with old and new friends at the social/networking events.
ACPA members are eligible to receive 20%-off any registration ticket type, including those for your spouse/guest. To receive the discounted member rate enter the following promo code at checkout: countonconcrete
Attendees are reminded they should not call the hotel directly for room reservations. Attendees may also make reservations via phone by calling the Hyatt’s reservation line at 1.888.421.1442. Even so, ACPA is encouraging reservations via the webpage.
ACPA Renews License, Commitment to ME Pavement Design Software
- Friday, 07 August 2015 21:10
ACPA has once again renewed the annual site-license for AASHTO’s Pavement ME Design software.
In practical terms, this renewal enables ACPA technical staff and technical staff of ACPA-Affiliated Chapter/State Associations and the Cement Association of Canada to use the software for pavement design and analysis support.
The renewal also represents ACPA’s long-standing support of mechanistic-empirical pavement design. As reported in ACPA’s “A Concrete Legacy,” the association “was involved in the evolution of the AASHTO design procedures through all of its evolution, providing endorsements, suggestions for improvement, and support for a fair and equitable design method.”
Chapter/State Associations Seek Key Personnel
- Friday, 07 August 2015 21:02
Three ACPA affiliates are seeking qualified personnel to fill technical and promotional positions. Detailed job announcements are linked on ACPA’s home page for the positions described and hyperlinked below:
- Vice President for Design & Construction (ACPA Pennsylvania Chapter) — Qualified applicants should have a minimum of five years of experience in the transportation industry, and possess knowledge of pavement design principals, project design concepts, concrete materials and mix design fundamentals, and concrete pavement construction and constructability practices. Knowledge of PennDOT and Turnpike pavement policies and procedures is desirable.
- Vice President (ACPA Mid-Atlantic Chapter) – This position involves gaining access to decision-makers and cultivating those relationships; planning, developing and conducting workshops, seminars, project visits and other opportunities that present themselves; responding to inquiries for technical information and assistance; maintaining effective relationships with public and private professional organizations; and ensuring members are kept informed of promotion activities and key issues through regular communications and quarterly reports.
- Airport Promotion Director (Southeast Chapter-ACPA) — The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated airport professional to promote and increase the use of concrete pavement solutions (conventional and roller-compacted concrete) and innovative cement technologies (full-depth reclamation and soil cement) at airport facilities in the states of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
People interested in the positions are encouraged to view the online requirements and apply per the instructions in the ads. Referrals are also welcome and should be directed to the Executive Directors of the respective state/regional associations.
Make Plans to Attend ACPA’s 52nd Annual Meeting
- Friday, 07 August 2015 20:30
ACPA is putting the finishing touches on the program for the Association’s 52nd Annual Meeting, which will be held December 1st through 4th at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa in Bonita Springs, Fla. The Association is urging members, affiliates, and guests to make plans to attend the meeting.
Earlier this year, ACPA conducted a survey about the annual meeting, and will be incorporating many of the following suggestions into the program:
- Greater contractor attendance and participation.
- More quality and less quantity for the Concrete Pavement University (education & training tracks).
- More technical topics and fewer promoter-oriented topics.
- A half-day session for contractors to share best practices and innovative ideas.
- Fewer optional activities (but a continuation of the receptions).
Survey respondents also asked ACPA to modify the golf outing to make it faster to play. Also, for the awards banquet, respondents said to keep the existing format (where winners are notified in advance, but the news of “gold” or “silver” levels are not revealed until the banquet).
ACPA will be announcing additional details soon, and in the interim is urging everyone to “save the dates” for the annual meeting.