News from Capitol Hill
- Tuesday, 30 July 2019 09:28
This is the latest installment of highlights of PCA’s “This Week in Washington” update by Rachel Derby, PCA Vice President of Legislative Affairs. Interested in seeing more? Become an ACPA Advocacy Interest Member.* Advocacy Interest Members are eligible to participate in the Legislative Issues Committee (LIC). Click here to join!
- Topping the legislative news this week is the Senate EPW Committee’s passage of the proposed transportation reauthorization bill. Click here for details and ACPA’s perspectives.
In other news from Washington, DC …
- By a vote of 52-40, the U.S. Senate confirmed Steve Dickson to be the next FAA administrator. The FAA has had an acting administrator for the past year.
- The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2019 (BBA, H.R. 3877) in a vote of 284 to 149. The $2.7 trillion bill sets budget levels for two years and prevents $125 billion in automatic cuts that were part of a 2011 budget agreement. It also suspends the debt ceiling for two years. The Transportation Construction Coalition and the Highway Materials Group have expressed support, seeking for the agreement to include a provision to cancel the $7.6 billion highway contract authority rescission scheduled to take effect July 1, 2020.
- Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chairman John Barrasso (R-WY) and Ranking Member Tom Carper (D-DE) introduced legislation to repeal the rescission of $7.6 billion in federal-aid contract authority that is currently set to take place on July 1, 2020. PCA has weighed in with Congressional leadership in support of a repeal.
- The House Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials held a roundtable with railroad shippers. Mmembers of the subcommittee heard from rail shippers who expressed concerns about demurrage fees and precision-scheduled railroading. Members of the Surface Transportation Board were present to hear the points made by witnesses. Demurrage is costing cement company members money in terms of what railroads charge, and adding to the expense, precision-scheduled railroading is not guaranteeing shipments are shippedat specified times.
* Advocacy Interest Membership is a special individual membership category. To be eligible for membership in this category, a member must be a stockholder, owner, director, or employee of a member admitted to any other class of membership (Article IV, Section a-i, and l). In addition, to become and remain eligible, individuals must affirm their Advocacy Interest Membership annually.
Follow this link to see ACPA’s government affairs repository.
Final Call for ACPA Distinguished Service Nominations
- Tuesday, 30 July 2019 07:40
ACPA is reminding members and affiliates to submit nominations for ACPA’s 2019 distinguished service and recognition awards through August 2nd. To submit a nomination, click the highlighted links below for each award:
- Hartmann-Hirschman-Egan Award – Awarded annually since 1968. The award is presented to individuals or organizations for unparalleled, long-term commitment, dedication, participation, and leadership in the concrete pavement community.
- Marlin J. Knutson Award for Technical Achievement – Awarded annually since 1998. The award is presented to an individual or group who has made significant contributions to advance the development and implementation of technical innovations and best practices in the design and construction of concrete pavements.
- Outstanding Pavement Promotion Award – Awarded selectively since 1998. The award is presented to an individual or group who has made significant contributions through promotional efforts or programs to advance the awareness, specification, and/or placement of concrete pavements.
- Lifetime Pavement Recognition Award (Highway) – Awarded annually since 1994. The award is presented to the agency owner of an in-service concrete pavement that has demonstrated exceptional performance and service to its local community, state, and users. (This recognition rotates annually between market segments. This year, we will recognize an exceptional highway project.)
- Sustainable Practices Recognition Award – Presented first in 2010, this award goes to an organization or team (owner and contractor) that demonstrates leadership by implementing design and construction practices that consider societal, environmental and economic factors.
The awards will be presented at the Association’s 56th Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA. Submit all nominations by August 2nd. To view past award recipients, please follow this link.
Photo shows a recent ACPA sustainable Practices Recognition award, one of five distinguished service and recognition awards that will be presented at ACPA’s 56th Annual Meeting in December.
You Still Have Time to Plan for ACPA’s Airport Workshop
- Tuesday, 30 July 2019 06:39
ACPA is urging members and airport owners’ representatives to register soon for ACPA’s Airport Pavement Design & Construction Workshop. Because of the high demand, ACPA seats and hotel rooms are going quickly.
The workshop this year will be held at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale (FL) from Oct. 22 through 24. Please click here to visit our one-stop website, which includes a registration link, hotel registration link, and updated agenda.
One of the popular highlights of the workshop is straightforward, often spirited discussions about concrete pavement specifications for airports, notably the FAA’s P-501 spec and the UFGS 32 13 14.13 spec used for US Army Corps of Engineers and other Tri-Services projects. Seats are going quickly, so don’t miss the opportunity to participate in this popular training and tech transfer event!
Professors’ Seminar Recap
- Monday, 29 July 2019 18:54
Eric Ferrebee was one of several industry experts to present at the PCA Education Foundation’s Professors’ Workshop last week in Farmington Hills, MI.
Eric spoke for two hours last Thursday, presenting technical instruction on Joint Layout and Design and Pavement Thickness Design. Other speakers included Wayne Adaska, PCA; Norb Delatte, Oklahoma State University; Seyedhamed Sadati, Institute for Transportation/CP Tech Center; Mike Ayers, Illinois Chapter-ACPA; and Robert Bowers, Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute.
The Professors’ Workshop is designed for professors and other instructors in civil engineering, architecture, architectural engineering, materials science, and construction management programs. The program provides the academic community with tools to engage students in the latest developments in concrete design, construction, and materials.
Plan Now for the ACPA Annual Meeting
- Wednesday, 24 July 2019 09:08
A fun-filled, information-packed annual meeting is in the works and ACPA is offering an early preview of the tentative agenda:
- Tuesday, Dec. 3– The meeting begins with the ACPA Chapter Committee Meeting, and meetings of the IGGA, RCC Pavement Council, and ACPA Emerging Leaders Group.
- Wednesday, Dec. 4 – The day will be devoted to technical, legislative and strategic committee meetings and the Concrete Pavement University (CPU) opening plenary session. An early evening Mardi Gras reception will give all attendees a fun-filled opportunity to enjoy networking and spending time with other meeting attendees New Orleans style.
- Thursday, Dec. 5 – The final day continues with our popular CPU tech transfer & educational event. Eight CPU breakouts are divided into two concurrent tracks (a contractor-focused technical track and a more general interest track). The 30th Annual “Excellence in Concrete Pavement Awards” dinner closes out the evening and marks the end of the meeting.
With record attendance at the 2019 Mid-Year Meeting, and an all-time high number of ACPA contractor members, we anticipate exceptional attendance and plenty of networking and fun!
The meeting will be held at the New Orleans Marriott, located in the heart of the ‘Big Easy.’ ACPA is finalizing the preliminary agenda and registration details, which we plan to post in early August. Until then, save the dates and plan to join us in New Orleans. For a quick preview please visit: http://2019meeting.acpa.org.