Don’t Miss the ACPA Airport Pavements Workshop
- Wednesday, 18 July 2018 01:42
ACPA’s popular Airport Pavement Design & Construction Workshop is now a little more than five weeks away.
We’re reminding members and others involved in airport design and construction to register as soon while seats are still available.
Our annual three-day national workshop will be held August 28 through 30 in San Diego. The schedule is 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PDT) the first day and second days, and from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. the third day.
The workshop will be held at the Marriott San Diego Mission Valley, in San Diego. Click the hotel link to register online; but if calling, please be sure to ask for the ACPA room block when making reservations.
ACPA Calls for Distinguished Service Award Nominations
- Tuesday, 17 July 2018 12:45
ACPA is calling for members and affiliates to submit nominations for its distinguished service and recognition awards. This award program was established in 1968, and the first honeree was James W. Johnson, Iowa Highway Commission Testing Lab, for the invention of the slipform paver.
To submit a nomination for the 2018 awards, please follow this link to view past award recipients and to see nominate in multiple categories. To go directly to the specific award nomination page, click the highlighted links below:
- Hartmann-Hirschman-Egan Award – Awarded annually since 1968. The award is presented to individuals or organizations for unparalleled, long-term commitment, dedication, participation, and leadership in the concrete pavement community.
- Marlin J. Knutson Award for Technical Achievement – Awarded annually since 1998. The award is presented to an individual or group who has made significant contributions to advance the development and implementation of technical innovations and best practices in the design and construction of concrete pavements.
- Outstanding Pavement Promotion Award – Awarded selectively since 1998. The award is presented to an individual or group who has made significant contributions through promotion efforts or programs to advance the awareness, specification, and/or placement of concrete pavements.
- Lifetime Pavement Recognition Award (Street/Road) – Awarded annually since 1994. The award is presented to the agency owner of an in-service concrete pavement that has demonstrated exceptional performance and service to its local community, state, and users. (This recognition rotates annually between market segments. This year, we will recognize an exceptional street/road project.)
- Sustainable Practices Recognition Award– Presented first in 2010, this award goes to an organization or team (owner and contractor) that demonstrates leadership by implementing design and construction practices that consider societal, environmental and economic factors.
All nominations must be submitted online by August 3, 2018. The awards will be presented to the recipients at the Association’s 55th Annual Meeting in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
ND Concrete Council Names New Executive Director
- Monday, 16 July 2018 09:10
The North Dakota Concrete Council (NDCC) has announced that Art Thompson has been hired as the Council’s new Executive Director. The NDCC represents both the North Dakota Chapter-ACPA and the North Dakota Ready Mix & Concrete Association.
Thompson spent the first half of his career in public relations and marketing roles, and has spent the last decade building, managing and growing ready-mix concrete operations throughout Central and Western North Dakota. He also served as president of the North Dakota Ready-Mix & Concrete Products Association for two terms.
“Art brings a wealth of knowledge to our association,” says Greg McCormick, Northern Improvement Co.* and 2nd Vice Chair of ACPA. He also is a member of the NDCC Board of Directors. “With his vast experience and his personality, our board is confident that he will be a great ambassador for the concrete industry in North Dakota.”
Thompson is based in Bismarck and will travel throughout the state focusing on government and member relations, education, and marketing in a variety of areas that promote the use of concrete.
“I am excited about the opportunities this new role provides,” Thompson says. “This association has a strong history of promoting concrete as the building material of choice in North Dakota. I look forward to building on that history and working with all those who have an impact on our industry.”
Thompson replaces Dave Sethre, who retired this year after 22 years with the Council.
Contact information follows: Art Thompson, Executive Director, North Dakota Concrete Council, (Phone: 701.425.7106 | Email: Art.NDConcrete@gmail.com). Also, please note the new mailing address: North Dakota Concrete Council, P.O. Box 1076, Bismarck, ND 58502.
Final Hours for “Excellence” Awards Submittals
- Tuesday, 10 July 2018 23:18
The final deadline is hours away for submitting nominations for the 29th annual “Excellence in Concrete Pavement” awards. The deadline was extended until close of business today (Wed., July 11).
Click here to begin the awards submittal process and here to see a summary of 2017 award recipients.
The program is open to projects completed in the calendar year 2017. Prior to submitting projects for consideration, please check the program details, including eligibility requirements. Award recipients will be recognized formally at the awards banquet & presentations on Thursday, November 29, at ACPA’s 55th Annual Meeting in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
FHWA Offers Valuable Resources
- Monday, 09 July 2018 08:52
You probably have heard of the FHWA’s Mobile Concrete Trailer (MCT), and you may have had the opportunity to see it first-hand, but did you know how easy it is for contractors to borrow some of the MCT’s testing equipment?
To borrow equipment, contractors should contact Michael F. Praul, FHWA Senior Concrete Engineer (207.512.4917 | Michael.Praul@dot.gov) or Jagan Gudimettla, MCT Project Engineer, ATI, Inc. (202.366.1335 | Jagan.M.Gudimettla.CTR@dot.gov).
There are no forms to fill out and no excessive paperwork required, according to Mike Praul, who said if the equipment is available, it’s normally shipped within a couple days. He says there are no preset requirements for time the equipment may be borrowed. He adds one contractor “has had one of our super air meters (SAMs) for over a year.”
“All we ask is they take care of the equipment and return it as agreed,” he said, mentioning the contractors pay the return shipping costs. “When it’s time to return the item, we may ask you to return it to us or possibly to ship it directly to the next person borrowing the item.”
He said some flexible training options are aviailable, too. “We are willing to provide training to industry personnel performing the test. The training can be over the phone or via video link or even phone/video calls,” he said. “Jagan and the technicians are well versed in the tests and do a great job training people to run them.”
Click here to see some some of the equipment currently available; be sure to click on the other links on the page to learn more about the equipment/technology. By the way, Praul said he is currently working on expanding the loan inventory.
Finally, if you’re interested in seeing where the MCT will be next, click on this link to see the upcoming schedule. Please note the schedule is subject to change without notice.