A Look Ahead to Upcoming Trade Shows
- Monday, 07 August 2017 16:04
ACPA and its industry allies will be once again exhibiting at two well-attended events coming up this month and next.
- ACPA, NRMCA, and PCA will be exhibiting jointly at the upcoming Public Works Exposition or PWX. Formerly the American Public Works Association Congress and Expo, the PWX show reaches public works directors and other key personnel involved in public works projects across North America. The show is scheduled for August 27 through 30 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla. Look for us at booth #700.
- ACPA, NRMCA, and PCA also will be exhibiting jointly at the AASHTO Annual Meeting, which draws state Department of Transportation officials and other AASHTO members from across the United States. The meeting will be held from September 25 through 28 at the Sheraton Grand Phoenix, in Phoenix, Ariz. The meeting includes exhibits by leading transportation concerns. Look for us in booth #510.
Looking for other industry meetings & events? Visit our events calendar at http://acpa.org. To add a meeting or event, contact Debbie Becker by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACPA, Industry Allies Show Support for Airport Funding
- Monday, 07 August 2017 13:57
ACPA recently co-signed letters in strong support of airport construction funding, notably to urge Congress to adjust the Passenger Facility Charge on originating passengers, as well as to boost the Airport Improvement Program by $250 million for a total of $3.6 billion in funding.
The letters, sent prior to the current August recess, urged House and Senate Appropriations Chairs and Ranking members to support additional funding in the respective versions of the “Transportation, Housing and Urban Development” (THUD) appropriations bills. The two letters were sent by:
These letters cited long overdue increases to aviation infrastructure funding, and noted the revenue increases will support critical infrastructure projects for U.S. airports.
The Senate passed its version of the THUD Bill on July 25; the House version is pending the current August recess, which is scheduled to end September 5.
ACPA and other coalition partners will continue to advocate for increased airport construction funds. The FAA bill, formally the “FAA Modernization and Reform Act” of 2012, has been extended by several short-term measures, the most recent of which is set to expire on September 30.
* The Highway Materials Group is comprised of the American Coal Ash Association, American Concrete Pavement Association, American Traffic Safety Services Association, Associated of Equipment Distributors, Association of Equipment Manufacturers, Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, National Asphalt Pavement Association, National Ready Mixed Concrete Association, National Stone, Sand & Gravel Association, Portland Cement Association, and the Prestressed/Precast Concrete Institute.
ACPA, ISCP to Offer Webinars in Spanish
- Saturday, 05 August 2017 21:28
ACPA and the International Society for Concrete Pavements will present a four-part “Meganar” series in Spanish. The four-part series, “Overview of Concrete Pavement Design, Construction, Performance, and Evaluation,” will be presented during late August and early September.
The webinars will each last approximately 75 minutes, and are scheduled for 10:00 to 11:15 a.m. (CDT) | 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. (EDT) | 15:00-16:15 UTC on each of the following dates:
- August 29 – Part 1: Types of Concrete Pavement: Structures and Functions, presented by Dr. Jeffery Roesler, P.E., CEE Professor at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and President, International Society of Concrete Pavements.
- August 31 – Part 2: Mechanistic-Empirical Design Basics for Concrete Pavements, presented by Juan Pablo Covarubias, General Manager, TCPavements Ltda.
- September 5 – Part 3: Modern Construction Process and Technology for Concrete Pavement, presented by Juan Pablo Covarubias, General Manager, TCPavements Ltda.
- September 7 – Part 4: Concrete Pavement Evaluation and Measurement Methods, presented by Dr. Erwin Kohler, General Manager, 3ipe.com & ISCP Board of Directors.
To download a copy of the flyer (in Spanish and English), please follow this link: https://www.concretepavements.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ISCPFLYER_JULY27FINAL.pdf. For additional information, including costs, discounts, and registration information, please follow this link: http://www.acpa.org/upcoming-webinars-meganars-and-workshops/.
ISCP members are encouraged to visit the ISCP’s webinar page prior to registering on the ACPA registration page noted above.
California Ceremony to Spotlight 70 Year-Old Pavement
- Saturday, 05 August 2017 17:34
A special event scheduled for August 18 will celebrate the 70th anniversary of the concrete pavement construction of Interstate 10 between Ontario and Colton, Calif. The 10-mile section of Interstate highway extends between Mulberry Street to Colton and today represents a “crown jewel” to highway users and others in the Inland Empire, southern California, and throughout the region.
The celebratory event will include formal remarks about the past, present, and future of this storied section of the Interstate. Representatives from the companies involved in the original 1947 construction project will join Caltrans, regional transportation agencies, State legislators and industry officials to celebrate this significant milestone. The event also will include presentations of commemorative plaques and a formal, joint proclamation by the California State Senate and Assembly.
All participants are also invited to enjoy a continental breakfast and refreshments immediately following our program. The event will begin at 9 a.m. on Friday, August 18, at the Ontario Airport Hotel, located at 700 N. Haven Ave., Ontario, CA 91764.
The event is co-hosted by the CalPortland, Caltrans District 8, California Nevada Cement Association, Southwest Concrete Pavement Association, with additional support from the American Concrete Pavement Association and Portland Cement Association.
For additional information, please click here to download a web version of the event flyer. Participation is free of charge, but requires advance registration by email to: email@example.com. Questions about the event? Please contact Bill Davenport at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webinar Covers Life Cycle Assessment
- Wednesday, 19 July 2017 10:51
The MIT Concrete Sustainability Hub’s next public webinar will be Thursday, August 17, at 11 a.m. (EDT), and will discuss recent research on Buildings Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) work. LCA quantifies the environmental impacts of a structure over its entire lifetime by accounting for all phases. To register, please visit: http://tinyurl.com/CSHubBuildingLCAWebinar.