About 180 highway engineers, inspectors, contractors, and suppliers gathered yesterday (Feb. 18) for the 2020 Indiana Concrete Pavement Workshop and annual awards presentation.
Speakers from the Indiana DOT (INDOT), FHWA, and the concrete paving industry provided insights on the Indiana Transportation Team initiative toward better process and communication.
A technical session addressed optimized concrete mixes, innovation in testing, pavement restoration, and the use of thin concrete overlays as a preservation treatment for appropriate segments of state and local road networks. Awards recognized work at Grissom Air Reserve Base, and projects on I-74, I-70, I-865, Ryan Rd. in Allen Co., Eastside Parkway in Gas City, Kessler Blvd., and 38th St. in Indianapolis, US 40 in Richmond, and SR 37 in Lawrence Co. were presented as well.
Technical and business presentations included:
- INDOT Perspectives – Progress and the Indiana Transportation Team: Roland Fegan Deputy Commissioner INDOT.
- FHWA Perspectives and Initiatives: Mayela Sosa, Indiana Administrator, Federal Highway Administration.
- INDOT Partial Depth Repair Progress: Mike Nelson, INDOT.
- Wisconsin’s Effort to Implement Optimized Concrete Mixes: Kevin McMullen, Wisconsin Concrete Pavement Association.
- Aggregate Optimization Considerations at INDOT: Matt Beeson, INDOT & Devin O’Dell, Milestone Contractors.
- How to Produce Better PCCP with Optimized Aggregates; Chris Tull, CRT Concrete Consulting.
- The Patch: Non-destructive Testing with Piezoelectric Sensors: Dr. Luna Lu, Purdue University.
- Why You Should Pay Attention: Changes to Achieve Better Performing PCCP–Mike Byers, Indiana Chapter-ACPA.
- Report on Thin Concrete Overlays: Looking Forward: Indiana Chapter-ACPA.
Photo montage depicts (Clockwise from top) Kevin McMullen and Mike Byers; Mayela Sosa; Devin O’Dell; and a few of the approximately 180 attendees. Photos by Scott Mueller.