The American Concrete Pavement Association has launched two new web-based instructional modules that provide professional training about best practices for constructing smooth concrete pavements and handling aggregates for concrete paving.
Developed by ACPA with support from the Federal Highway Administration, the courses are offered free of charge to participants involved in highway and heavy construction. The courses are targeted to concrete paving contractors, agency personnel, consulting engineers, and others involved in construction management and/or concrete pavement project delivery. The courses are intended for persons with pavement construction, rehabilitation, and/or preservation experience.
The courses are available at http://acpa.scholarlab.com/. After registering, users will be asked to enter a coupon code, which is pavement1 (pavement and the number one). Registration and entry of the coupon code enables participants to take the course at no cost.
The courses provide a content-rich learning experience, complete with well-illustrated presentations led by professional civil engineers; field interviews with contractor personnel and other experts; and videos, photographs, and animations that illustrate process steps or actions related to the subject matter.
The courses are each divided into multiple sections, organized by topic. Prior to advancing to the next section, participants will be required to complete simple, “hurdle tests,” multiple choice or true/false tests, to validate participation and comprehension of subject matter.
An optional “evidence of learning” exam is also administered at the conclusion of each module. Successful completion (70% or more correct answers) of the exam will allow participants to produce a certificate of completion that may be used for company compliance requirements and/or professional development hours (PDH’s), where allowable by local licensing organizations.
About the Course Content
- Best Practices for Constructing Smooth Concrete Pavements–Comprehensive training covers all aspects of constructing smooth concrete pavements, from defining roughness to why smooth pavements are mportant. Also covers smoothness measurement, the “10 commandments” of smooth paving, and quality control methods. (4.5 hour course / 4.5 PDHs)
- Best Practices for Handling Aggregates for Concrete Paving–In-depth training covers basics of aggregates; acceptance criteria; tips and techniques for configuring a concrete plant site; stockpile management best practices; proper handling between stockpiles and concrete plants; and what can go wrong if poor techniques are used. (3.5 hour course / 3.5 PDHs)
- Safety on Concrete Pavement Construction Sites – This course is designed for anyone who works directly on site or has reason to visit concrete pavement construction sites. The course addresses safety concerns around slipform paving equipment (paver, spreader, cure machine, construction bridges, etc.), batch plant, haul trucks, concrete saws, and the general paving site. (1.5-hour course / 1.5 PDHs)
- Proper Use of Stringless Paving Technology–This course covers stringless paving technology for concrete pavement projects. The program includes an overview of the technology, as well as how stringless paving works. It also includes recommended best practices for using stringless paving technology to place quality concrete pavements. (1.5-hour course / 1.5 PDHs)
* Some restrictions may apply. Courses are designed and intended for persons with a working knowledge and experience in concrete pavement construction, as well as associated fields. In advance of beginning these courses, participants are responsible for checking state/provincial licensing requirements, as well as acceptance of these courses for continuing education and/or professional development requirements.